Ballast systems plays a critical role in the safe operation of both surface and subsurface ships, using Flowmaster at the design stage can help to eliminate potential issues.
Simulating the system before it is installed helps to ensure ballast tank filling and emptying times can be accurately predicted, pump sizes can be optimised to achieve system design specifications, ballast water treatment plant supply can be predicted, the length of time for de-ballasting can be quantified and therefore the ballast and de-ballasting control systems can be developed effectively.
On submarines the ballast system determines the maximum operating depth. The ability to quantify key design parameters earlier in the design process leads to increased confidence in the final design. Such parameters may include:
- Optimised storage capacity of the compressed air storage tanks
- Blow-down time
- Compressed air storage recharge times
Simulating the ballast system before it is installed can help to ensure:
- Accurately predict ballast tank filling and emptying times
- Optimise pump sizes to achieve system design specifications
- Predict ballast water treatment plant supply
- Quantify the length of time for deballasting
- Develop effective ballast and deballasting control systems